The marine terminals owned and operated by the Maryland
Department of Transportation Maryland Port Administration (MDOT MPA) are regulated by Federal and state laws. MDOT MPA terminals are designated as secure and restricted areas. Truck drivers seeking entry onto these terminals must abide by certain access control procedures established by the MDOT MPA Office of Security.
The MDOT MPA Office of Security would like to remind truckers of the following policies to prevent delays and to facilitate business on the terminal:
- Anyone entering the secure/restricted areas of MDOT MPA terminals must have a valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), or be accompanied by an authorized escort. The TWIC requirement applies to the driver and all passengers in the vehicle, including family members. Truck drivers entering the terminal areas must declare all passengers to the security personnel at the gate area.
- If the truck driver has a valid TWIC but the passenger does not, the passenger must be dropped off outside the gate area or be accompanied by an authorized escort. Hiding an unauthorized passenger may result in a criminal citation for both the driver and passenger.
- MPA generally prohibits minor children under the age of 18 from entering the terminal area with or without escort.
- If the truck driver is under the age of 18 and possess all required legal credentials to enter they will be allowed to conduct business within the terminal.
- In addition to a valid TWIC (or authorized escort), the truck driver must present a valid driver’s license to the security officer. Passengers must present a valid government-issued photo identification. No paper copies accepted.
- In addition to the TWIC requirement, the truck and driver must be enrolled in the eModal system. Go to www.emodal.com to register.
- Photography, filming, firearms, and weapons are prohibited on all MDOT MPA terminals.
- All persons, property, and vehicles entering the terminals are subject to screening, inspection and search by law enforcement and other authorized personnel. Failure to submit to screening, inspection, and search will result in denial or revocation of terminal access.
Attempting to gain unauthorized access to the secure/restricted areas of MDOT MPA terminals is a criminal offense. The truck driver and any passengers are subject to law enforcement action by Federal and state law enforcement officials.
For additional security information and a list of authorized MPA escorts, visit the Office of Security’s web page at: https://mpa.maryland.gov/Pages/port-security.aspx
eModal Trucker Check
Truckers will need to be fully registered with eModal Trucker Check to be able to enter Dundalk and Seagirt Marine Terminals in Baltimore.
- Register your company with eModal
- Register your trucks and drivers in eModal Trucker Check
- Registration is free. You must have a valid email address.
- Go to www.emodal.com and select "Register as a new user."
- Follow the prompts for entering in all company information.
- Allow a maximum of 24 hours for application processing.
- Approved applicants will immediately receive a username and password via email.
- You must have a valid SCAC and either an MCP or USDOT number to register your trucks and drivers in eModal.
- You can obtain a SCAC code from www.NMFTA.org.
- After you receive your username and password go to www.emodal.com and log in.
- From the eModal Trucker Check drop down menu, select "Add Driver."
- Follow the prompts to enter truck and driver information.
- Fields marked with a blue asterisk (*) are required.
- From the eModal Trucker Check drop down menu, select "Search eModal Trucker Check feeds."
- Select Baltimore from the feed format drop down option.
- Select to search by CDL# or Plate#
- Enter the requested driver/truck information in the appropriate field.
- Select the "Search" button.
- The data displayed is made available for the terminals.
- Information entered may take up to an hour to be downloaded from eModal to the MPA computer. Please allow a minimum of 1 hour prior to calling for verification.